The global antibacterial drugs market size was valued at US$ 46.50 Bn in 2020 and expected to reach US$ 53.12 billion by 2027 with a CAGR of 1.7% from 2021 to 2027.
The high prevalence of infectious diseases, increase in research and developmental activities, and increase in initiatives by government in healthcare sector are the factors projected to drive the global antibacterial drugs market during the forecast period.
- An antibiotic is a type of antimicrobial substance active against bacteria and is the most important type of antibacterial agent for fighting bacterial infections. Antibiotic medications are widely used in the treatment and prevention of such infections. Antibacterial drugs stop bacterial infections in two ways: they prevent bacteria from dividing and increasing in number, or they kill the bacteria
- North America dominated the global antibacterial drugs market in 2018 and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. Highly structured health care industry, increasing prevalence of infectious diseases, and introduction of the novel products are expected to drive the market in North America.
- Asia Pacific is likely to be a highly lucrative market and it is expected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period due to increasing patient population, initiatives by the government in healthcare sector, rising geriatric population and growing incidence of infectious diseases
Various Growth Strategies, such as Product Launch & Approvals, Acquisitions, Collaborations, etc. to Drive Market
- In November 2019, Allergan plc (AGN) announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Qualified Infectious Disease Product (QIDP) Designation and Fast Track Designation for ATM-AVI (aztreonam and avibactam), for the treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections (cIAI), complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI), and hospital-acquired bacterial pneumonia (HABP)/ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia (VABP). ATM-AVI is an investigational, fixed-dose, intravenous combination antibiotic under development globally.
- In May 2019, Civica Rx, a nonprofit drug company, announced that it had entered in an agreement with a Danish drugmaker Xellia Pharmaceuticals to make available injected forms of vancomycin and daptomycin, two antibiotics that are often in short supply.
- In January 2019, Locus Biosciences Inc., a biotechnology company developing precision antibacterial therapies, announced that it has entered into an exclusive collaboration and license agreement with Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Janssen), one of the companies of Johnson & Johnson, to develop, manufacture and commercialize CRISPR-Cas3-enhanced bacteriophage ("crPhage™") products targeting two key bacterial pathogens for the potential treatment of infections of the respiratory tract and other organ systems.
B-lactam Segment to Dominate Market
- Based on drug class, the global antibacterial drugs market is classified into B – lactams, quinolones, macrolides, tetracycline, aminoglycoside, sulfonamide, phenicols, and others. The B- Lactam segment dominated the antibacterial drugs market with the largest market share in 2018 followed by macrolides segment. The B – lactam segment is also expected to grow by a remarkable growth rate during the forecast period, due to the high use of penicillin.
- Moreover, Beta-lactam antibiotics are one of the most commonly prescribed drug classes with numerous clinical indications.
Enteral is the most preferred route of administration
- In terms of routes of administration, the global antibacterial drugs market has been segmented into enteral, parenteral and others. The enteral segment is expected to witness the largest market share in 2018 in the antibacterial drugs market
- Enteral administration has the advantages that it is possible to give quite large amounts of non-sterile substances or solution and that a pH as low as 3 can be administered by this route
Drug Stores and Retail Pharmacies to Dominate Market
- On the basis of distribution channel, the global antibacterial drugs market has been segmented into hospital pharmacies, drug stores and retail pharmacies and online sales.
- The retail pharmacies and drug stores segment held the largest market share in 2018 and is anticipated to grow by a significant rate during the forecast period, due to the increasing number of retail drugs stores, and the availability of antibacterial drugs through retail pharmacies and drugs stores.
North America to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of region, the global antibacterial drugs market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the global antibacterial drugs market in 2018, followed by Europe.
- North America accounted for major share of the global antibacterial drugs market in 2018, owing to increase in prevalence of infectious diseases, rise in research and developmental activities, presence of well-established healthcare sector, presence of large number of key players in the region
- The antibacterial drugs market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a high CAGR from 2019 to 2027. This can be attributed to rapid economic growth in developing economies such as India, China, Indonesia, Vietnam, South Korea, and the Philippines. Increasing patient population, rising incidences of infectious diseases, growing number of government initiatives, and increasing interest of key player are the factors responsible for fuelling the growth of the antibacterial drugs market in the region
- The Key players of the global antibacterial drugs market include Bayer AG, Pfizer Inc., Sanofi, GlaxoSmithKline plc., Merck & Co., Inc., AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Novartis AG, and Allergan, among others
The global antibacterial drugs market has been segmented as follows:
By Drug Class
By Route of Administration
By Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Drug Stores and Retail Pharmacies
- Online Sales
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
A new study on the global antibacterial drugs market has been published by Vision Research Reports. It presents a wealth of information on key market dynamics, including the drivers, market trends, and challenges, as well as the structure of the global antibacterial drugs market. The study offers valuable information about the global antibacterial drugs market to illustrate how the market would grow during the forecast period 2021-2027. The report provides the value and volume of the global antibacterial drugs market for the period 2021–2027, considering 2020 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain as well as supply chain analyses, and Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR), are elucidated in the study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret quantitative growth aspects of the global antibacterial drugs market during the forecast period.
An extensive analysis on business strategies of leading market players is also featured in study on the global antibacterial drugs market. This can help readers understand principal factors to foresee growth in the global antibacterial drugs market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on the qualitative and quantitative growth avenues for the global market, which is expected to guide market players in making apt decisions in the future.
The report also delves into the competition landscape of the global antibacterial drugs market. Key players operating in the global market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players profiled in the global market report.
Key Questions Answered in Antibacterial drugs Market Study
- What are the key factors influencing the antibacterial drugs market in each region?
- What will be the CAGR of the global antibacterial drugs market between 2016 and 2027?
- What is the future scope and changing trends in technologies in the global antibacterial drugs market?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the global antibacterial drugs market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global antibacterial drugs market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What is the volume (Units) of different antibacterial drugs across all regions during the forecast period?
- Which segment will have the highest revenue globally in 2027 and which segment will expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by Vision Research Reports to conduct a comprehensive research on the growth of the global antibacterial drugs market and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global antibacterial drugs market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of our study on the market as a primary source.
These primary and secondary sources provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from antibacterial drugs industry leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making Vision Research Reports estimates on the future prospects of the global market more reliable and accurate.