The global drugs of abuse testing market size surpassed US$ 6.2 Bn in 2019 and is expected to reach US$ 7.5 billion by 2027 with a CAGR of 5.5% from 2020 to 2027.
- Illicit drug consumption is largely a youth phenomenon, gradually increasing through teens and reaching peak in persons aged 18 to 25. Abuse of drugs and alcohol has negative consequences on society and poses a significant burden on the workplace and health care systems.
- North America dominated the global drugs of abuse testing market in 2019 and the trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. Highly structured health care industry, increased usage of illicit drugs, and introduction of the Affordable Care Act in the U.S. are expected to drive the market in North America.
- Moreover, North America is also likely to be a highly lucrative market for drugs of abuse testing and it is expected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period
Rise in law enforcement spending for illicit drug interdiction and growing impact of drug and alcohol abuse on public health to Drive Market
- Governments across the world have increased expenditure on law enforcement agencies aimed toward drug interdiction through mandatory screening of potential illicit drug abusers. For instance, in the U.S., the Office of National Drug Control Policy spent US$ 31.1 Bn for illicit drug control in 2015 in order to reduce drug use and its consequences.
- Substance abuse has high impact on the health of individuals and their families. According to United Nations World Drug Report (2016), an estimated 1 in 20 adults aged between 15 and 65 used at least one drug in 2014. Moreover, over 29 million drug users suffer from substance use disorders leading to high health consequences.
Analyzers Segment to Dominate Market
- Based on product type, the global drugs of abuse testing market has been divided into analyzers, rapid testing devices and consumables. The analyzers segment has been bifurcated into immunoassays analyzers, chromatographic devices and breath analyzers.
- The analyzers segment dominated the global drugs of abuse testing market in 2018 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. Increase in use of analyzers to accelerate the growth of the segment. Increase in the popularity of breath analyzers is also major factor for to boost the market growth.
- Further, the rapid testing devices segmented into urine testing devices and oral fluid testing devices and consumables divided into fluid collection devices and others.
Work Place Screening to be Highly Lucrative Segment
- In terms of testing type, the global drugs of abuse testing market has been classified into pain management testing, criminal justice testing and work place screening.
- The work place screening of abuse testing segment dominated the drugs of abuse testing market owing to rise in trend of evaluating employees for drug abuse testing at workplaces in order to enhance productivity in business and avoid workplace related injuries.
North America to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of region, the global drugs of abuse testing market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the global drugs of abuse testing market in 2019, followed by Europe.
- North America accounted for major share of the global drugs of abuse testing market in 2019, increased consumption of illicit drugs and the penetration of insurance plans for costly diagnosis tests, making it one of the largest markets in terms of revenue
- According to CDC, approximately 10.6% of the U.S. population aged 12 years and above consumed illicit drugs in 2016.
Leading players operating in the global drugs of abuse testing market include
- Alere Inc.
- Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings
- Roche Diagnostics
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Drägerwerk AG & Co. KGaA
- Siemens Healthineers
- Express Diagnostics International Inc.
- Shimadzu Corporation
The global drugs of abuse testing market has been segmented as follows:
By Product Type
- Immunoassay Analyzers
- Chromatographic Devices
- Breath Analyzers
- Rapid Testing Devices
- Urine Testing Devices
- Oral Fluid Testing Devices
- Fluid Collection Devices
By Sample Type
- Hair & Sweat
By Testing Type
- Pain Management Testing
- Criminal Justice Testing
- Workplace Testing
- Diagnostics Laboratories
- On-the-spot Testing
- Forensic Laboratories
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report on the global drugs of abuse testing market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators of the market during the forecast period from 2020 to 2027. The report provides revenue of the global drugs of abuse testing market for the period 2017–2027, considering 2020 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global drugs of abuse testing market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after an extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global drugs of abuse testing market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, company presentations, sales data, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global drugs of abuse testing market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global drugs of abuse testing market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global drugs of abuse testing market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global drugs of abuse testing market. Key players operating in the global drugs of abuse testing market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global drugs of abuse testing market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Global Drugs of Abuse Testing Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of product companies in the global drugs of abuse testing market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global drugs of abuse testing market between 2019 and 2027?
- What is the influence of changing trends in diagnostic procedures on the global drugs of abuse testing market?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable market for drugs of abuse testing providers?
- Which factors are anticipated to hamper the growth of the global drugs of abuse testing market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global drugs of abuse testing market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by VRR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the global drugs of abuse testing market and arrive at conclusions on its growth prospects. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary methods referred to by analysts during the production of the global drugs of abuse testing market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of VRR’s study on the drugs of abuse testing market as primary methods.
These primary and secondary methods have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from the drugs of abuse testing market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases enabled this report to address specific details and questions about the global drugs of abuse testing market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenues for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching VRR’s estimates on future prospects of the global drugs of abuse testing market more reliably and accurately.