The vascular access devices market size was valued at US$ 6.2 billion in 2020 and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 6.1% from 2021 to 2030. The vascular access devices market size is expected to reach over US$ 10.5 billion by 2030.
Increase in number of lifestyle diseases, Increase in incidences of target diseases, and technological innovations are projected to drive the global vascular access devices market during the forecast period.
- Unhealthy lifestyle and diet, lack of exercise are some of the factors responsible for increasing incidences of lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, blood pressure and obesity.
- According to International Diabetes Federation (IDF), in 2014, around 338 Mn people were diagnosed with diabetes, and according to WHO, in 2014, around 1.9 Bn adult population, was obese or overweight.
- Thus, increasing incidences of lifestyle diseases propels the need for hospitalization, thereby, driving the demand for vascular access devices market.
Increase in Incidences of Target diseases to Boost Market Growth
- Cancer is one of the leading cause for rising demand of vascular access devices globally. In 2014, U.S. alone had an estimated 1.6 million new cancer cases.
- According to WHO, in 2013, there were an estimated 14.8 Mn. new cancer cases worldwide.
- Rising number of cancer cases increases the demand for central venous catheters, and new totally implantable ports, for administration of chemotherapy medications.
Technological Innovations to Drive Market
- Innovative technologies, products and procedures are constantly fueling the growth in the market. New catheter material compositions that improve user’s pre and post-catheterization comfort, antimicrobial coatings that prevent the formation of biofilms and crusts are some of the advances, which manufacturers and researchers are developing.
- Biocompatible materials, such as silicone and polymer mixes, are substituting latex materials, giving rise to lubricious internal and external surfaces that reduce pain during Administrations. Silicon coated and 100% silicone catheters are already in widespread use in cases where patients are allergic or hypersensitive to latex.
- Antimicrobial coating, and drug coated catheters are the most recently approved products by the U.S.-FDA, that have reduced catheter related infections, and complications.
Peripheral Catheters Segment to Dominate Market
- In terms of product, the vascular access devices market is segmented into peripheral catheters, central catheters, and accessories. Peripheral catheters segment is segmented into PIVC and midline catheters. The central catheters are further classified into PICC, Central Venous Catheters, Implantable ports, and dialysis catheters.
- Peripheral catheters accounted to larger market share in terms of revenue in 2018 and expected to grow in the forecast period due to due to cost effectiveness, ease of insertion, reduced complication risks associated with use of other catheters, and government regulations.
- Peripheral catheters are most widely accepted catheters globally, especially in emerging economies, due to advantages over central catheters such as ease of administration, less frequency of catheter related complications, lesser duration of usage (around one week), and cost effectiveness. Hence, the segment holds higher share globally in vascular access devices market.
Medication Administration segment to be Highly Lucrative Segment
- By application, the vascular access devices market is segmented into medication administration, administration of fluids and nutritional compounds, transfusion of blood products, and diagnostic testing.
- Medication administration segment accounted for larger market share in terms of revenue in 2020, medication administration segmented accounted for more than 45% of the market share in 2018 due to high prevalence and rise in incidence rates of chronic disorders across the globe.
Intravenous Route segment to dominate the Market
- By route of administration, the vascular access devices market is segmented into intravenous route and subcutaneous route.
- Intravenous route segment accounted for larger market share in terms of revenue in 2020, intravenous route segmented accounted for more than 75% of the market share in 2020 due to reliability and rapid delivery of medication. Increasing use of PICC and PIVC devices support the growth of the intravenous Route of Administration segment.
Hospitals Segment to offer attractive opportunity
- Based on the end-user, the market has been segmented into hospitals, clinics, ambulatory surgical centers and diagnostic centers.
- The hospitals segment dominated the market in 2020 and is anticipated to remain dominant in the forecast period owing to the increasing demand for minimal invasive procedures and increasing number of surgeries for vascular diseases.
North America to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of region, the global vascular access devices market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- North America dominated the global vascular access devices in 2020 and is estimated to maintain its leading position by the end of 2027 with sight decline in the market share.
- Increased adoption of technological advanced products in the region, high prevalence of vascular disorders, rapidly aging population, and well established healthcare infrastructure etc. factors have contributed to dominant share of the region in global market.
- The market in the Asia Pacific region is projected to expand at exponential growth rate during the forecast period. The highest growth rate in the Asia Pacific region is attributed to increased market penetration of global players in highly populous countries such as China, India, Taiwan, rapidly improving healthcare industry in the region, and comparatively large patient pool with vascular and chronic disorders.
- The global vascular access devices market is fragmented in terms of number of players. Key players operating in the global vascular access devices market includes, include B. Braun Melsungen AG, Baxter International, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Cook Medical, Medtronic plc, W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., Teleflex, Inc., Siemens Healthineers, Nipro Medical Corporation and Fresenius Medical Care.
- Peripheral Catheters
- Central Catheters
- Central Venous Catheters
- Dialysis Catheters
- Implantable Ports
- Medication Administration
- Administration of Fluid and Nutrition
- Transfusion of Blood Products
- Diagnostic Testing
By Route of Administration
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa